Friday, January 30, 2009

I recently resolved to give up one of my biggest timewasting addictions.  This means that I've been on the hunt for something to fill all that time besides doing the things I ought to do.  Today, I found I new webcomic.  I think this one is the most cynical I've found yet.  I love it.  Nothing makes me feel good about my day like a good dose of cynicism.  Really.  It makes me feel hopeful that someone's that clever and critiquing everything that harshly.  Does that make me sick?  But anyway, my favorite comic that I read today was this one

    

Secondly, I'm going vegetarian for the month of February.  I'm practically vegetarian anyway.  Meat just takes too much money to buy and too much effort to prepare.  Plus, being vegetarian is, according to just about everyone healthier.  It's better for the environment. ("A 2006 United Nations report summarized the devastation caused by the meat industry by calling it 'one of the top two or three most significant contributors to the most serious environmental problems, at every scale from local to global.'"1) Finally, it's encouraged by the Word of Wisdom (D&C 89:12-13).  And it's cheaper; which goes a long way with me.  And it's easier to throw some lentils in my rice than it is to figure out what to do with all that ground beef grease.    

   

Considering the lifestyle I already live, it's not much of a sacrifice.  The only thing I'll miss is sushi, which I can't afford anyway.   Knowing all this, I'd been thinking of trying out vegetarian life all on my own anyway, when a friend turned to me and said out of the blue, "Hey, wanna go vegetarian for the month of February?"  I didn't hesitate a moment.  Other than an occasional inconvenience, I really don't see a downside to this.  Easier, cheaper, healthier, encouraged by the Lord, and saves the world.  Why the heck not? As if on cue, My new comic gave me this.

   

1.  http://www.goveg.com/environment.asp

2 comments:

Adam said...

I hope your vegetarian experience goes well! Make sure to get the right proteins, and remember: if you start eating (red) meat again, do it a little bit at a time. Your digestive system forgets how to digest it if you omit it for long, so try to reintroduce things gradually.

Bryan Tanner said...

It's too bad you have chosen to lay off the sushi this month; I was going to take you out this week to Happy Sumo. (Maybe we can find some nice meatless dish anyway.)