Friday, May 8, 2009

A Dream Deferred

"A Dream Deferred"

What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?

--Langston Hughes

The long awaited email finally came. Amity Corp sent an email that nicely thanked me for my time and effort and told me that they will not be offering me a position. It's been less than a week since my interview; I guess they didn't need to think about it very long. I'm not really sure what happened. I know my interview didn't go spectacularly, but I am also rather overqualified for the position. I really really wanted to go back to Japan. It was the only teaching related thing that actually called out to me as something I wanted to do. And I was so proud of myself for being brave, being willing to strike out on my own, and for following my dreams. I felt so good about trying this, about giving it my all, that it's disheartening to have it simply disappear without even a fanfare for farewell--just a simple, silent email that I happened to see just as my last student headed out the door for the day.

I do have other options for going to Japan, but they would all include a major step backwards in my career and my usefulness. It looks like I will be here next year. And who knows? Maybe the year after that. Cancel all the excitement, all the premature good-byes, all the hopes.

But all is not lost, and I really have no right to complain. Just yesterday a small miracle happened. My principal informed me that, contrary to everyone's reliable information, there will be an English position open at my school next year. I love my school, and there are many real advantages to staying here. So I do have a plan, an option, and an opportunity. I'm still bummed, and I feel like I just got yanked back three months emotionally, when I had just resigned myself to staying in the country at least another year and hopefully planning on staying at my school. I was genuinely looking foward to it. Then my job fell through and I started searching for a dream to chase and found it in Japan. Then, yesterday I found out the that there will be a job to apply for afterall, and today that the dream I've been chasing for months isn't possible anyway.

I'm a little emotionally confused. I'm happy that I might get to stay, but crushed that I can't go. So, I think I'll eat some chocolate, read a book, pick the yearbook staff for next year, and maybe go for a bike ride. If the past while is any indication, what I want will have little effect on my actual options, so it's best to be happy. Assuming that my future doesn't suddenly reverse course again in the next while, I'm looking forward to next year...in Utah. That is, I will be after some ice cream and chocolate and just a dash of moping.

4 comments:

Matt said...

You know, I seem to recall a story about a certain lady wanting to be a river guide for a long time, and that didn't work out. Turned out that I got to hang with her for the summer with a bunch of zany theater people. There were laughs, there were tears, there was piracy. Watch those slamming doors, girl, you KNOW how awesome it is when they open up a different one.

Jacque said...

Hey you, I've been watching your blog daily the last little bit to hear the good news about your interview. Although it is not the good news I was expecting, I'm glad we might get to see you a bit more. Nothing happens by accident, and good things will happen because of this. In the meantime, revel in your graduated status, some sunshine and some of that awesome ice cream. (Creamery on Ninth, perhaps?) Love ya like a daughter!

Bluesfier said...

I'm sorry your dream didn't work out the way you wanted it to. I commend you on the effort, it takes real courage to do what you did. And if you want fanfare, there are plenty of good ol' folks around to help you with that.

The word of the day is tsuretri.

Bryan Tanner said...

Sorry about your dreams. At least you got a visit to Seattle out of it, right?

Teaching Comic:
http://www.amazingsuperpowers.com/ComicArchive/165.htm