Saturday, July 11, 2009

Crouched at the Starting Line

Tomorrow morning at a very early hour, about 4:30 a.m., I will begin another epic journey. First I will be driven to the airport by an unfortunate saint who volunteered to get up that early on a Sunday morning. From Salt Lake City I will fly to Seattle, where I will wait five hours before boarding another plane. This flight will be long, probably boring, and supposedly "overnight." It must be overnight, because I when I finally remove my now-seat-shaped rear from the cushion, I will have arrived at the next day. Oh, and another continent. Because I'm headed to Japan. I'll be gone for almost exactly three weeks.

While words cannot express how excited I am to be in Tokyo again, this trip have challenges that my last one did not. Last time, I had what I believed to be a remarkable amount of disposable income to simply throw around and travel. This time, I'm completely two-dimensionally broke.

But I am, nevertheless, going to return to old haunts, find new sights to see, and breathe air resplendent with both humidity and pollution.

But at this instant, I find myself slightly over prepared. My suitcases are packed, the items going into my carry-on are carefully strewn about the living room. I've packed up all my clothes and music, and I'm waiting until I hit the airport to start reading the books I've packed. All I can do at this point, is wait. Wait for the clock to tick off a few more hours until bed time. I suppose I'll go clean anything that will go bad in three weeks' time out of the fridge and record a new answering machine message informing people that I am off on adventuring once more.

Yeah, I think I'll do that. It beats going over my train schedule for the fifth time.

2 comments:

Jacque said...

Wow! Sounds like fun! Can't wait to participate vicariously in the "Summer Adventures of Mild Mannered English Teacher" via this blog.

Bryan Tanner said...

By the way, Steph is lonely without you at the apartment.