Sunday, December 11, 2011

Weekend Glory

It's not that I don't enjoy my job and my day-to-day life, because I do, but there is something truly glorious about a weekend.  Two whole days off in a row.  I can have a friend come over and not worry about what time they leave so I can go to bed so I can get up early.  I can see the sunrise; I can see hours of wonderful sunlight.  I can cook large amounts of food for the week and have time to clean up the mess.  I can go climb at the gym during hours when they're aren't many other people.  I can actually make a real breakfast.

Or, like this morning, I can wake up early (6 a.m., I went to bed at 8:30 because I have a cold), and lay warm in my bed for a while.  Then, when I'm tired of that, I open the shutters in my room and snuggle back into bed.  Outside each of my bedroom windows is a gigantic pine tree, and with the shutters open, I can almost pretend that I'm sleeping in a tree house.  After a while I get up, make myself a cup of hot chocolate, turn on the Christmas tree lights and sit in the corner of the couch.  From this position I can see the moon setting when I look over my left shoulder, the Christmas tree glowing merrily on my right, and a little bit of sunrise over the mountains dead ahead.


The view from my balcony.
In a while, I'll make some oatmeal, grade some papers, clean the apartment, and turn some music.  Later I'll go climb with friends, then go to the Streetlight Manifesto show tonight.  But for now, I'm just enjoying the silence of a sunrise, bathed in  the glow of my Christmas tree.

I love weekends.

No comments: