Monday, June 4, 2012

Miss Wesel and Miss E. Run Away to the Desert

School got out on a Thursday afternoon, and Friday morning Allie and I packed up her car and drove to the desert.  In two days we saw Dead Horse Point State Park, which Allie had never seen, and Canyonlands, to which I was a stranger.  It was crazy warm, but while the heat saps your energy, but it also warms your soul.  We saw jack rabbits and prairie dogs and lizards of all colors, sizes, stripes, and spots.  Here are some pictures, though we used Allie's camera for Dead Horse Point, and mine for Canyonlands, so these pictures are only of Canyonlands.  

The bathroom at our campsite had neither roof nor door.  

Sunrise at Mesa Arch


A week ago, after months of searching, I finally found a cowboy hat that fit, looked decent, and  cost me only twelve dollars.  It also meant I had to take a great deal of ridiculous pictures.  

Chillin' on the edge of the Grand View Point

Of course I didn't hit the button on my camera and dash toward the edge of the cliff to get into position before the picture took.  Of course I didn't.  



As we were leaving Grand View Point, it began to rain.  In the Quran, there are multiple times when it refers to "God's mercy," and a footnote will tell you plainly that "God's mercy" means rain.  Being in the desert in the heat of summer for a few days, and walking on paths where sandstone is returning to sand and baking white, the rain is magical, merciful, and heaven sent.  


5 comments:

Di said...

When we went to Zions our bathrooms were exactly the same. They were significantly more difficult to find/use and a lot more worrisome that someone might walk in when you're using them at 10 p.m.

Naazju said...

I miss you and Allie so much! Please get copies of her pictures so I can see the rest of your trip!

evieperkins said...

Al's got a lot of them up on her blog. It's private, but I'm sure if you facebook/email her, she'd send you an invite.

Miss Wesel said...

Holy Cow Natalia! I had no clue you were following Eve's blog. Also Eve, I think it is hilarious to write Miss Wesel and Miss E run away b/c at that point I was celebrating not being called Miss Wesel.

Unknown said...

My favorite is the "still life" of Chaco's at the end.