Thursday, May 22, 2008

this blog is not about you

I have a friend, and a good one. We've been friends for two years now. We met in weird circumstances, and he's one of the few people with whom I've ever bonded instantly. Our friendship has survived just about everything that usually kill these types of friendships: dating, dating other people, not talking for four months, different religions, not seeing each other for almost two years, completely different outlooks on life, etc. You name it, and we probably disagree on it completely. Yet we still call each other just to talk, and we always talk for at least two hours if we can manage it. He's still one the people with whom I feel the most comfortable, even though I know he doesn't agree with my entire lifestyle. Why are we like this? I have no clue. In fact, this blog isn't even about him.

This blog is about the fact that I have four hours worth of grading to do, but I don't want to do it. This blog is about the fact that I'm struggling to keep my eyes open, so it's not really fair to my students to grade their presentations right now, but I really don't have any other time I can do it. It's about the fact that I procrastinated grading their presentations yesterday so it's all my fault. This blog is about the cd that I'm listening to: Falling Into Infinity by Dream Theater. It's a cd that a friend gave to me in high school that I didn't like. I really like it now. This blog is about grammar (aren't they always). It's about how much I respect the students I TA. It's about the crazy stream of thoughts that is always going through my head. This blog is about leftover chocolate fondue on grahm crackers. This blog is about my friend, this blog is about someone else.

You know something? I don't think this is really a blog. It's not even a rant. It doesn't qualify as "blowing off steam," because I'm not actually writing about anything that's bothering me. It's not a tirade; it's not a sketch; it's not really worth reading. I think it's a sigh. This whole blog is a sigh. It's everything that goes into the sigh that you heave as you try and shut down the fire-hose of thoughts blasting through your mind and de-slump your shoulders and clear your mind as you turn to what you ought to be doing. It's that sigh.

*sigh*

5 comments:

Cavan said...

Your eloquent even when you're pointless.

Good heavens, woman, you're out of control!

Adam said...

Speaking of music preferences, I listened to some Collective Soul. I didn't like all of it, but some of the songs were really good, so I figured I'd grab one of the albums.

When I went back to Amazon to buy the album that had the songs that sounded good, they'd pulled it. It was no longer available in MP3 form, so I'd have to buy the CD :-(. My life is so hard.

I don't know if you were really intending to make music suggestions, but I'm always on the lookout for stuff to stick on my work soundtrack, so thanks ;-). And now I go to YouTube to watch Dream Theater videos.

Urikkiru said...

And yet, when you write people still read it. And even if we didn't read it, it's still your blog. Feel free, write what you like :) I'm non judgmental about these sorts of things.

After all, look at the things *I* blog about :P

Di said...

I loved it.

Jeni said...

Eve, love, you are a writer. I don't know if you realize it, surrounded in a world of english majors, but wow. How do you express thoughts so well? Lovely.