Monday, December 8, 2008

Anger Issues

I had a close friend that used to get so angry and frustrated with people that he could barely speak.  He felt every moment of idiocy and thoughtless disrespect like a personal wound.  We used to talk about it, and I would shrug and say that they were imperfect people with good intentions who mess up a lot.  But now that I think about I wonder which one of actually had more respect for the people around us.  My friend, who thought that they were jerks that were being hypocritical, or me, benevolently considered them idiots from whom I shouldn't expect much.  He at least believed in them enough to be angry with them for failing to live their potentials.  I just gave up on them as faulty, flawed, and hopeless.

Now I find myself often adopting a similar attitutde toward my students sometimes.  I don't ever really get angry at them.  Sometimes that's because I'm a fairly laid back person who doesn't take discipline problems personally, but often its because I treat them like three year olds.  I don't expect them to be able to control themselves.  So instead of teaching behavior lessons I tend to just stop behavior.  Instead of teaching them to police their own behavior, I'm doing it for them.  Instead of teaching them not to bring distracting items to class, I'm just taking them away.  

So I guess I need to work on getting angrier and expecting better of my students.  

3 comments:

anon said...

Eve, you have lost your faith in people. You need to watch the end of "The Dark Knight" again.

Shame...

Bluesfier said...

I'm sure your doing a wonderful job. Don't lose your faith in people. Respectful or not, your original thoughts towards people were benevolent and you were at the ready to forgive their mistakes.

I think we should expect perfection, but then be ready to forgive when it isn't achieved.

Bryan Tanner said...

A thoughtful entry Eve. I have to agree with Clancy, The Author, in that your plight is similar to that of Bruce Wayne of Wayne Enterprises (formerly WayneCorp).

It is your destiny; you must BECOME, The Dark Knight!

(Now, all you have to do is get a billion dollars, become an Olympic decathlete and train under Tibetan-fighting monks for years.)