Monday, February 9, 2009

Bookbag Timecapsule

I admit I'm one of those people who analyzes people based on the contents of their grocery carts, glove compartments, and the items found in their purses.  Corndogs and bananas...college-age bachelor, but post-freshman because he's buying fruit.  Today, I reached into the small pocket of my bookbag, a place where I pack things I think I might need and then forget about.  And then I laughed, because I had forgotten about so many things that have been in that pocket for a year or better--some of which I use, some of which I've never touched.  Here is the list, along with a rough estimate or guess of where each item came from and how long it's been in there.  I leave the personality interpretation to you.  I was aware of the existence and location of items 1, 4, 6, 12, and 13.  The rest were trips down memroy lane, like some kind of accidental time capsule.  

   

1.   My wallet--black with red trim and a skull and crossbones.  It's only been in there since this morning.  Purchased in a gift shop in Germany.

   

2.   A Great Value breakfast drink mix given to my sister by her visiting teachings superivsor and that she gave to me be cause I drink breakfast shakes.  It's been in there since around Thanksgiving?  You never know when you're going to need a meal.  Or the address of her visiting teachees....

   

3.  My last paycheck stub.  It's been in that pocket for a little less than a week.  You know, for my "records."  That I keep.  Really.  ... But I can't throw it away right?  They're taking over my room.

   

4.   Four packages of Swiss Miss hot chocolate mix, three with marshmallows, one without.  One week.  For after school.  

    

5.    A temporary tattoo of a death-metal looking skull with black wings.  I remember purchasingi it... but I have no clue where or when.  Was it at a hockey game?  Sometime this fall.

   

6.    A small bottle of "Passion Rose" scented lotion, given to me by my sister for Valentine's Day...two years ago.  You should always have lotion with you.  

   

7.   A sandstone-colored plastic spoon that says Delta on it....   ....  ?  

   

8.   A reciept from the Courgareat Taco Bell dated 7/23/08.  I got a chhesy double beef burrito.  It was probably gross.

    

9.   A package of multivitamins...probably a few months

   

10.   Two mini-handwarmers.  A stocking stuffer?  Stolen from Mom during the Christmas ski trip?  Yeah, probably.

   

11.   Five dollars worth of nickels.  You know.  For the nickelcade.

   

12.   The broken shards of another plastic spoon.  The two must have had a duel.  The Delta one, being stronger and more widely travelled, seems to have decimated the cheap, flimsy, white one.

   

13.   The reason boys don't go looking through ladies purses.  

4 comments:

Cavan said...

#13 is a man-eating monster of a Venus flytrap?

That's the only thing I can think of that it might be.

Unknown said...

A few thoughts come to mind. First, I remember how full that pocket of your backpack always is and now I know why. Second, I'm not sure how to feel about the fact that I'm the reason for two different items in the pocket. But I'm sure my visiting teachers would be happy to help you if you ever need them.

Bluesfier said...

Everything you have suggests that you're a woman on the go, who is always ready for any occasion; or that you are really a pack rat and never throw anything away. Either one.

Bryan Tanner said...

stimulating.

I have no interpretation to offer. I find it interesting that you enjoy powdered drinks, even on the go.

Wallet contents is a good blog topic.