Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Found: My New Internet Addiction

I recycle.  I reuse, I reinvent, and I buy used as much as possible.  One of the highlights of my Presidents' Day was checking out the 50% off sale at Savers (two skirts and a shirt for $8).  And I want to do more.  I want to make tables out of magazines, funnels out of the tops of plastic bottles, and decorations out of old books.  And then, last Friday, I found out about "freecycle."  Basically, it is a national network of people set up to get people with extra stuff in contact with people who might want it.  I joined the Provo area group on Yahoo groups, and I'm already in love.  There are over 3000 members in the group, and all throughout the day, people post things like "OFFER: box of canned foods."  It turns out that they were given a box by a friend who was moving, and now they don't need it.  The first person who emails them is welcome to come pick it up: free.  There are posts like "OFFER: Antique grand piano, cracked soundboard." Pay to move it and it's yours.  "Wanted: Odds and ends of yarns for scrap project."  When an item has been spoken for, the offer-er will post a quick "Taken" notice.  When a needed item has been given, the recipient will post "Received."  

   

So far today I have 1) found someone who wants the two or three ghastly-colored half skeins of yarn I have in the top of my closet, 2) found a free 3rd Edition Turabian style manual, and 3) found a lady who is cleaning her garage out and just giving the stuff away from 4-5:30 today.  I intend to stop by on my way home.  

   

We all have times when we'd give our extra stuff away if we just knew who needed it.  We all find times when we need something we know someone else is wishing wasn't taking up room in their closet (like a breadmaker, baby or maternity clothes, sunday coupons, etc), but we don't know that person.  Freecycle is one step ahead of and twelve steps more personal than the thrift store.  It's a chance to give your stuff away before someone has to buy it.  Also, the person who wants your item is usually willing to meet you somewhere or come to you to pick it up.  So go ahead, clean out your closet and your garage.  Now you can give the stuff away to someone who needs it directly.  

   Freecycle.

2 comments:

Bryan Tanner said...

Yayh! It's like craigslist, BUT BETTER! I'll definitely be checking out Freecycle.com


And congratulations on begin able to post pictures again. :)

Di said...

You didn't know about freecycle before now? And also, when did you turn into such a little hippy?