Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Make-up



Make-up, a collection of powders and pastes used to augment, draw, or conceal facial features. My relationship with make-up has spanned a decade or so. Over the years, I have worn a little make-up or a lot of make-up. There were times in my life when I wore green stick, foundation, powder, blush, eyeliner, mascara, and eye shadow every day. There were other times when all I needed was the green stick, powder, mascara, and eye-liner. But for the last ten years, I have nearly always worn make-up. Since make-up--especially mascara and eyeliner--takes a few days to wash away completely, there have been very few times in that decade when I saw myself completely without make-up of any kind. After a camping trip or a ski trip or if I'd been sick I might see myself make-up free, but as soon I was back to civilization and health, I would quickly reapply. I liked make-up; I liked the way I looked when I wore it. I didn't feel like I wore it for other people; I wore it for me.

However, this past spring I realized that I no longer liked the way I looked when I wasn't wearing any make-up. I felt like I looked strange, blank, unfamiliar. And this bothered me. I don't mind wearing and liking make-up, but I didn't like the feeling of needing it. I didn't want to feel dependent on it, uncomfortable in my own skin without a few artificial touches. After ten year with make-up, I found myself self-conscious without it, and not liking the face I saw in the mirror. So I decided that make-up and I needed to take a break. I refused to let myself not like my own face without modification. If I wanted to wear make-up, that was fine, but I couldn't wear make-up because I couldn't accept my own natural face.

So I decided to give it a try. Last spring break, I gave up make-up for a week. And I loved it. After the first few days I got used to my own face again, and found little bits of additional freedom that wearing no make-up gave me refreshing. I could go exercise or swim without worrying about my make-up. I didn't have to periodically check my eyes for circles or lines of mascara or anything. It never got in my eyes or stung. If I cried I wouldn't have to redo my make-up. If I wanted to, I could wash my face part way through the day without having to carefully remove the make-up and then reapply.

I returned from spring break and found myself increasingly reluctant to put on make-up. Not only that, but I started questioning the face wash and zit creams I'd been using since my 16th birthday. I decided that during the summer I would go natural all the way. No face wash, no make-up.

And I did. And without the make-up, I didn't get as many break-outs, and all summer long I just wore my own face without modification. At first, I would still put on make-up for church, but soon I disliked waiting a day or two for the last traces of eyeliner and mascara to disappear. So I gave that up, too. I thought I would return to make-up when school started, and I did for a week. Then I stopped.

I haven't stopped wearing make-up on moral grounds, or as a feminist statement, but simply because I wanted to make sure I didn't become unfamiliar with my own face. I've kept no wearing make-up because I'm lazy and I like the extra amounts of liberty that no make up gives me. I still like the way I look with it. I'll probably pick it back up again some day, and I still wear it on special occasions. But I like that I once again like my face just the way it is, and that my eyelashes never feel stiff, and my face is always clean, not covered.

7 comments:

Jacque said...

Ha! I feel validated! I hate foundation because it feels 'wrong' and rubs off. Mascara ends up fouling the eyepiece of my microscope. Being brunette helps, you don't look so different without it. I do wear it sans foundation when I dress up for Sunday or a date. I congratulate you for liberating your time and your wallet.

Di said...

Wooooot. While I just never really got into wearing makeup you have put into words what is appealing to me about it. Besides, you are naturally lovely. I am glad you are appreciating that.

Paige Terner and Sandee Beech said...

That is SO awesome for you. I am so happy that you want to be you! I loved on how you said you wore makeup for YOU, not anyone else. I also agree with you that wearing too much makeup hides the real you. I'm glad you feel more free. I think you should check out our blog regularly. Oh! And I finally get why you said to check out your blog on my post. Haha. Sorry, I'm slow. So check out our blog regularly, and we'll check out yours. Deal?
You can comment on our blog at
triggeraspark.blogspot.com
Thanks!
-Sandee Beech :)

Paige Terner and Sandee Beech said...

Hey! I just found out that you live in Utah, like us! That's so cool. I also thank you for checking our blog out. If you can, check it out regularly :) I'll do the same for you too! TELL YOUR FRIENDS TOO :)! Thank you so much. You don't know how much we appreciate you checking out our blog!
~Sandee Beech

Paige Terner and Sandee Beech said...

Quick question, random but quick, HOW OLD ARE YOU? You don't have to answer if it's too personal. Just that's a part of my random mind.
-Sandee Beech

evieperkins said...

Sandee, I'm 25, I teach English, and I'm pretty sure you know you I am.

evieperkins said...

*Know who I am. I guess I should go teach myself to proofread. :)