Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Clockwatching

Before any break in school such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, or summer, I usually hear at least two different teachers express the following sentiments: The students have no idea that their teachers are actually more anxious for the bell to ring and the break to begin than they are. I'm sure I'll hear the same thing at lunch today, when there is only one period left before Fall Break. At the risk of repeated these already oft expressed sentiments, I am even more excited than my students for the day to be over. I'm checking my watch every five minutes. I've under planned my lessons, as if by planning less things to do I can make class go faster, which is actually probably the opposite of how it works.

I don't have grand travel plans, or far away adventures planned. I do have a lot of grading to do. But I'm looking forward to four glorious days of freedom, where I am responsible only for me, and where I can go skate any time of the day. Maybe I'll cook. Maybe I'll play video games. Maybe I'll clean up my classroom. Maybe I'll just enjoy the fact that for a few days, school isn't ruling my life.

Hurry up Fall Break. Get here faster!

91643577, Jamie Grill /Photographer's Choice RF

2 comments:

Jacque said...

I had a 7th grade science teacher that posted the following on the wall clock: "Time will pass. Will you?" Your comments made me think of that. Enjoy your break. I love days off that are not obligated to holiday requirements that leave me more depleted than if I had just gone to work.

Jacque said...

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/oct/17/opinion/la-oe-lam-teacher-20101017
You may already know about this, but when I read this article I thought of you.