Monday, October 11, 2010

Getting back together with an Ex

We met in sixth grade, and at first I intended for us to be just friends. Instead, we went steady for seven years. Weekends and weeknights, long bus rides together, mornings and evenings. Sometimes I'd ignore him for a few days, but I'd always come back. I had more classes with him than anyone else. We stuck together through braces and every awkward phase I had throughout all of middle and high school. Then, after high school I left him in my hometown and moved on with my life. Oh, I'd still get out with him on the occasional summer vacation, but my life was given over to other loves. I hardly gave a thought to him, and when I did, it was with a sort of carefree nostalgia. I never really expected to return, although I regretted the loss of the relationship and closeness we once had.

But lately, after six years apart, he's been sneaking out of the corners of my thoughts. I'd be listening to a song, and suddenly I'd crave his unfailing company and all the adventures we once had together. As this happened more and more often, I began to wonder: Was it really to late? Getting our relationship back to where it was wouldn't be convenient or easy. It would take conscious effort and work. We weren't in school together anymore. I'd have to make consistent advances to get him back.

But finally, I could stand it no more. One of those songs that made my fingers tingle for him was playing on the radio, and I said out loud, "Dang it! Alright, I'm going to this for real!" I inwardly made the commitment as I picked up the phone and made the call I'd been contemplating for weeks. Instead of answer on the other end, I got voicemail. Plunging in, I spoke quickly, before I could change my mind.

"Mom?" I said, "Can you send my trombone back with Rachel when she's home this weekend? I want to start playing again!"

We're living together now. He's there when I go home, waiting in my living room. We've only managed to spend a stolen half hour together here and there, but already it feels so good to have him back. Like coming home. My steady. The boy I've kissed more than any other by far. Perceval. Percy for short. My trombone and my longest love.

1 comment:

Matt said...

aaah, l'amour. Congratulations on your reunion and your shiny renewed relationship.