Friday, March 28, 2008

fish?

As my co-worker leaned over my shoulder and did a good impression of a man-squeal, "Oh they're so cute!!" it occurred to me that I don't really think fish are cute. Dolphins, puppy dogs, little frogs, ball pythons, and praying mantises are cute. Japanese kids are cute. Kittens are cute. Fish are just, well, dumb. I mean, they're probably better than no pets, and I don't really mind taking care of the Writing Center fish, Susan and Stanley. But as I sat there stressing about how much of the special chemical to add to make tap water safe in their tank, and scrubbing out their scummy tank with my hands, and then waiting an hour after work for the to water cool down enough that it wouldn't kill them from transfer shock, my feelings toward the little "darlings" were decidedly neutral.

How are fish cute? They are tolerable at best, and many are down-right bordering on repulsive. They give their owners nothing, not love, not amusement, nor cuddles. he only reasons I can think of for keeping them are to have "something living" in the room, because they look cool when they're lit up in a dark room, and because we as humans like to feel like things are dependent on us, like we're the benevelent lord of something.

I guess I'm just not a fish person.

3 comments:

Cavan said...

It's like she's saying what we're all thinking!

Matt said...

Well, fish DO taste delicious. Of course, I've never tried the store bought variety. Hmmmm....

Adam said...

I like fish! Admittedly, I mean this mostly in a culinary sense.

I think hamsters are cute. And kittens. And small children. Nemo is cute, but he's more hamster than fish.