Wednesday, October 21, 2009

On Not Being Behind



I realized something this week. I am not behind. My grading is proceeding right on schedule and I will have end of the term grades ready in plenty of time for next week's deadline. My learning targets for this term are actually all taught. Two more class periods will finish up Malcolm X. One of those class periods is already planned.

Yearbook is still a learning experience, but I'm figuring things out. Today my lifetouch rep came and looked over what we've done so far, gave me some tips, and said it looked good. My students' first deadline is in two weeks. They're a little behind, but I think I've planned enough time for them to slip a little if they need to. But the pages they're putting together look good.

My ward choir performed. They did well. I'm planning the Christmas program. It looks fun.

Put all these things together...and I'm not behind. I'm not in a panic. It's the end of the first term, and everything's fine. I don't really know how to function this way. I expected chaos. I expected to need to turn my internal stress dial up to "Ruin Your Health" and blast my way through the next few weeks. After all, I still haven't begun to plan the next term yet. But I already know how I'm going to start it.

I can hardly grasp this new, strange, and slightly exhilarating sensation. Instead of barrelling down a hill wondering which patch of gravel is the best one to crash in, I'm cruising confidently down the slope. If I were to sum up my reaction to this new (and probably temporary) state of affairs, it would sound like this:

"What the...!? I'm not behind? How'd that happen?!"

2 comments:

nick cuny said...

so riding down the parking garage today is almost the literal form for your analogy haha.

Cavan said...

1. The little girl in that first picture is crazy adorable.
2. Not being behind is so booooring.