Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Miscellaneous

Tonight is going to be catch up on my blog night.  I've been very good tonight, and graded lots of papers, so I deserve a little extracurricular life.
 
Pictures of dress up day have been requested multiple times, so here are a couple from 80s day.  It looked better in person, but you can get the general idea.

   
Second, last week, on Monday, I went to a "content day" for the district.  All the junior high and high school English teachers came to learn about and discuss a variety teaching topics.  It was held at a local high school.  I took plenty of notes related to the topics the seminars were about, but I also took notes on other things I was thinking.  The result was somewhat humorous.  So, without further ado, here are my thoughts from content day.


8:05 Wow.  That is one tall drinking fountain.  It's chest high!
         This school smells like hamsters.
8:30 I actually WANT to learn Spanish!
         Crap!  ESL kids don't get study skills for homework help anymore?  Crap crap crap.
9:20 I need a hair cut--time to call Amanda
         Socratic Seminar??
9:55 I like trail mix two times only: when I'm hiking, and as a "snack" at one of these seminars.
         Teachers at this school have really fun bulletin boards.
         There has got to be a book about analyzing people based on their doodles when they're bored.  You could analyze personality, intelligence, creativity, penchant for organization and neatness, etc.
10:00 Why did houndstooth come back in?  Is it piggy-backing off of Argyle's recent surge in popularity?
            Sigh.  I want a real plant.  Something that good with artificial light.
10:05  I don't like corduroy pants, but I do like the word curduroy.
            Is giving students candy that's not individually wrapped even LEGAL anymore?
10:07  What does it say about me that most of doodles are geometric patterns?  What does it say that I can't draw a non-skewed geometric pattern to save my life?  They always turn out with non-uniform angles...and slightly bent lines.
10:10  How can I get my hands on the Dr. Brain series? Especially the Lost Mind of Dr. Brain.  I loved those games.
10:15  Give me lamination, double-sided tape, and magnetic things, and I will change the world.

No comments: