Sunday, November 30, 2008

Dialogue with my inner 5-year-old

5 Year Old Me: I want that.

Me: I'm sorry, there's no way that's gonna work out.

5YOM: Really?

Me: Really. Sorry.

5YOM: Really Really?

Me: Really.

5YOM: What if I tried really hard and gave up this and did that?

Me: Nope. No way means no way.

5YOM: Oh. What if I waited? Then would it happen?

Me: I'm sorry, but that's never gonna happen.

5YOM: Never?

Me: Never ever.

5YOM: What if I waited a month? Then would it happen?

Me: sigh. No. It's never gonna happen.

5YOM: Never ever?

Me: Never.

5YOM: What if I waited a whole year? Would it be alright then?

Me: No. I'm sorry but never means that no matter how long you wait or how hard you try, the answer is still going to be no, no matter how many times you ask.

5YOM: oh.

Five minutes or five days pass.

5YOM: I want that.

3 comments:

Bryan Tanner said...

This is the first post I've read on your darling, pink blog, and it is AWESOME!

What I love about it most is the ambiguity of the conversation. I think everyone who reads this dialogue can relate to the common compulsion.

For me, the debate is over whether or not I should go to the gym. Pretty lame.

Di said...

I have had this exact same conversation so many times.

Unknown said...

I'm not entirely sure what you were wanting that you deprived yourself of, but I am curious. After shopping with you on Friday I am wondering about the inner dialogue. By the way, did you wear your librarian glasses today?