Monday, November 3, 2008

My favorite literary device

"Caution: Slow, Ironic Twists Ahead" was the sign on my friend's door growing up.

"Isn't ironic, dontcha think?"

"Life is funny; life's a mess. Sometimes a curse sometimes a blesssing."

"Roll the bones. The night has a thousand saxophones so get out there and rock and roll the bones!"

I think my love for irony is a defense mechanism I have developed so that I can laugh at my life.

As I told my students the other day, "Real life can be so much weirder than fiction."

If someone were to write a book about my weekend, they would probably be criticized for making things "too coincidental," for having irony almost too perfect to believable. It has to be the trick of the filmaker to make them movie better. But no. Ladies and gentlemen, this exercise in irony is my life.

No comments: