Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Not a Waste of Makeup

I went on a date with a grown-up.  A live one, in his natural habitat.  A polite, responsible, "solvent," interesting, and well-mannered grown-up.  He asked me out days in advance, he remembered the restaurant I had casually mentioned liking days earlier, and he showed up on time.  He held a balanced conversation, listening intently, commenting, and asking questions and told stories from his own life as well.

He's got a real job, productive hobbies he pursues with passion, and he loves his grandmother.  Do you know how long it's been since I've been on a date with a boy that didn't live in somebody's basement?  The better part of a year, that's how long.  Some of them lived in their parents' basements; the one I dated for a few months at least lived in a non-relative's basement.  It's been a long time since I've been on a date with a boy with a college degree and a job in his field.  Don't get me wrong, those boys were great dates and there's nothing wrong with the lives they're living.  But I'll admit that it was awfully nice to go on a date with a grown-up.  It made me feel like I'm not crazy for having gotten my degree, started a career, and pursued goals in health, travel, and hobbies. It felt wonderful.

I went on a date with a grown-up.  I hope I get to go on another one.

5 comments:

Miss Wesel said...

OH I am so jealous and excited for you! Especially after all your grownup blog posts now you found someone else who is a grownup too.

Naazju said...

Hooray, hooray, hooray! I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. Maybe there's a blog out there that starts, "I went on a grown up date with a grown up woman who loves teaching English but also loves skateboarding . . . "
Good luck!

evieperkins said...

I can only hope. :)

Beck said...

Woohoo! Glad he has ambition and drive. I hope he continues to be grownup, but just not too grownup. :) And after a date with you, I'm sure he wants another one too. :)

Jeni said...

Congratulations! Do keep us posted!