Thursday, April 21, 2011

For What's Worth

Dear Public and Government,

I'm a junior high school teacher, and I say that class size DOES make a difference.  Today 11 students out of my fourth period class are at a track meet, leaving me with only 22 instead of 33.  Class is more quiet, instructions are heard, work is completed more quickly, and no one's asleep.  Some of my quieter students who rarely say a word, have actually come up to me to ask questions because I have the extra time.

My largest classes have 37 and 38 students.  There are only two or three empty desks during those classes.  My smallest classes have 31 and 33 students.  Because I can leave the back row empty, no one has to look past five other heads to see the board, and on average, they complete the work and lesson for the day with 10 minutes to spare, while my larger classes are working right up to the bell.

Class size matters.

Sincerely,

Miss E.

1 comment:

Rachel! said...

Excellent, Eve. I can't believe your classes are that big! Insane! I never remember having classes that big even in high school, much less junior high. What's this world coming to?

In other news, I'm excited to have found your blog!