Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Immoral Vegetarian Goes a Step Further

Every year, my sister asks me what my New Year's resolutions are, and every year, I sort of mumble through an answer about all the improvements I'd like to make.  You know, the ones I'm always muddling my way through in a vague sort of way.  I'm not much of a New Year's resolution maker.  I could make up all sorts of excuses for this.  I could say that I don't like the idea of making a new start once a year instead of continually.  I could say that, as a teacher, New Year's always feels like the middle of the year and not the beginning to me, and I'm far more likely to make goals over the summer for the next school year than I am for the calendar year.  I could say that setting up a pass/fail goal is a silly idea, because once you fail (around February), you're done for the year with a goal that should have been the subject of continued progress.  The actual truth about why I don't usually make New Year's resolutions probably lies somewhere along the lines of I forget, it takes too much effort, and the dilemma of what goals to set.  If I set grand goals, I set myself up for failure, which is lame.  If I make easy goals I know I'll reach, then I feel like I'm cheating.  So every year I keep my vagaries, thank you very much.

But not this year.  This year, when my sister asked the familiar question about my goals, I was armed and ready.  This year I actually embarked on some measurable, definable, goals.  These goals I have, for the most part,  managed to keep going.  One of these goals was to be a vegetarian.  I've been a vegetarian before, but it's different this time.  Before, I was a strict vegetarian for one month, mostly because a friend had dared me.  Now I've been a non-strict vegetarian for five months all on my own.  Notice the key word there, non-strict.  Since I'm not going vegetarian for moral reasons about cruelty to animals, I don't feel the need to be strict about it.  I'm an amoral vegetarian.  An immoral one?  Whatever, a vegetarian for non-moral reasons.  I'm vegetarian out of a general concern for what the meat industry does to our planet, what eating that much meat does to our health, and a belief that when the Lord said to eat meat sparingly or in times of famine (D&C 89), he meant it.  So my policy for the last five months has been pretty casual.  If I make it or buy it for myself, I will make a genuine effort to make sure it's vegetarian.  If someone else is cooking or buying, or if Allie and I are putting together a roommate dinner or something, then I let it go.  I try not to even say anything.  I figure that unless I'm allergic to something, no one needs to work around my food preferences.  Sometimes I refer to myself as a "non-annoying" vegetarian.

Mahatma Gandhi
http://www.topnews.in/people/mahatma-gandhi
I've liked this lifestyle.  But I'm still eating too much meat.  And while I'm eating too much meat, I'm also reading Gandhi's autobiography, during which he takes about a hundred pages to talk about food.  He tried several different diets for various health or spiritual reasons, and for most of his life he ate only fruits and nuts. He placed so much faith in vegetarianism and veganism that he frequently went against doctors' orders to consume dairy or meat products for his or his family's health.  He placed his life on the line for his dietary beliefs on more than on occasion.  He also makes a lot of intriguing arguments for a diet of restraint and self-control.

I am ready to experiment.  I'm not going rabidly vegan.  I'm not joining PETA or protesting chicken farmers or lecturing other people on their evil, animal-killing ways.  But, just for me personally, I'm going to give it a try.  I'm going vegan.  Gandhi at one point urges his readers to experiment to find what will best benefit them, and I'm going to take him up on it.  This will be an experiment only for now.  When it's over, I'll go back to my non-annoying vegetarianism, and will probably settle somewhere into non-annoying veganism.  But for the next little while I'm going to be strictly vegan in the food I consume (I'm not going to through away my leather shoes or my dread wax, though).

I was going to go vegan for a month, but then I decided to be more biblical about it and go for 40 days.  My 40 days begins today, and will last until July 2nd.  I'm making this public, so that I have to be accountable to at least the five people who read my blog.  I'll report back to you with the complaints, realizations, and any great spiritual transformations that happen along the way.

Day One.  I go vegan.  Geronimo!

5 comments:

Di said...

Does this mean you're not buying me pizza and donuts when I dread your hair? I may be selfishly slightly grumpy about that turn of events.

Also I used to work with this lady and she sometimes posts recipes on her blog. Matt and I might also still have some of his work recipes floating around the house.

Di said...

Whoops. Forgot the link. http://blogs.standard.net/in-a-gadda-da-vegan/

evieperkins said...

Oh no, I'm forcing this on no one else. I will still be provide pizza and donuts for the dread party, I just won't be able to eat any. :)

Thanks for the link; I think I'll need to learn a few new recipes for this.

Di said...

Eeeeeexcellent. In that case I am wholly supportive of your venture and will attempt to find the list of vegan recipes we had floating around the house.

Unknown said...

Looks like you'll be cooking a lot off of 101 cookbooks. Enjoy. I am in the non-annoying vegetarian category as well. Except, that I don't think any of my Montana neighbors believe that is possible.